Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Benedictum XVI

HABEMUS PAPAM. Almighty God be praised!

Wow. What a day. I went to work but I didn’t get much work done, I spent most of the day reading news and blogs and watching bits of streaming video.

My only disappointment is that I missed the live announcement. I was up very late last night waiting for what turned out to be black smoke from the morning vote, then went to bed figuring the afternoon vote wouldn’t happen until nearly lunch time, so I’d have to watch it from the office. I woke up around 8:30 and should have turned the TV on then, but instead I showered, dressed, and went through my whole morning routine before I finally switched on the TV for a quick check before heading out the door and there was the headline: Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger Elected New Pope.

My initial reaction was surprise, quite frankly I was stunned. I was almost certain he would not be chosen for two basic reasons:

  • He was clearly the favorite according to the media, and as the old saying goes, “he who enters the conclave as Pope leaves as a Cardinal.”
  • I thought he had too much baggage, and that the Cardinals would prefer a less controversial, less polarizing figure.
But once I picked my jaw up off the floor and pinched myself a few times to make sure I really was awake, I broke out into a huge grin. Though this whole idea of a new Pope will still take some getting used to, already I love our new Holy Father. What struck me most about his Urbi et Orbi blessing (I saw the replay on the Fox News website) was how humble he seemed, joyful yet almost overwhelmed by the great task ahead. He said he would rely on our prayers and I intend to do my part. My local parish announced last Sunday that it would have three Masses to celebrate the day after the selection of a new Pope, so I need to get to bed soon so I can make the morning service. More thoughts to come.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home